The secret power of early risers
Believe me, I get it. Work days are long, ‘adulting’ is exhausting, not to mention almost all of the amazing shows are on late at night (that’s what Netflix is for y’all!). Getting up earlier than necessary often feels like a chore.
But, I must say, mornings are my favorite time of day! The world is just waking up, the light is spreading across everything (depending on the forecast), noises are changing, plants are turning toward the sun – there’s almost a magic in the air!
If you can manage to get up early, there are some major benefits! Here are just a few of my favorites:
- Start your day proactively vs reactively! Focus on the important things in your live vs the urgent things. When you’re in the thick of it, almost anything can feel like the be-all, end-all project. Take this time to step out of the weeds and address what’s truly a priority. This is, of course, assuming you’re not waking up to an overnight work fire!
- Take time to prepare! In almost any sense, the way you start something usually sets the tone for how the entirety of it will go. You don’t start a recipe without checking the ingredients list. You don’t start a workout without stretching. Why would you start your day without prepping? Take this time to get ready to attack the day on your best footing!
- Give yourself some momentum! Along the same lines as prepping, this is also your time to psych yourself up! You just enjoyed the reset we call sleep – use it to get yourself ready to thrive through the day. Early mornings are the perfect time to hone in on positive energy and forward thinking!
- Enjoy the quiet! I love the mornings so much because there’s a little more quiet. Don’t get me wrong, I love the hustle and bustle! But, sometimes it’s nice to just light a candle and have some peace. The dogs are still sleeping, there aren’t many cars on the road, the morning TV/radio aren’t blaring…it’s lovely.
- Get some work done! Your conscious and subconscious mind, as well as your creative brain and energy levels, are in the optimal condition immediately following sleep, so early morning is actually the perfect time to rock out some work. Have you been looking for an extra few minutes to finish that proposal? To clean up the dog toys? Here’s your chance!
- Reconnect with yourself! After a good night’s sleep, you’re brain and heart are both usually a bit more clear, giving you the opportunity to reflect on how you’re feeling. You can practice meditation, go for a run to clear your head, write in your journal, whatever it is – you can use this time for you!
- Make a decent meal! Let’s face it, we’re always on the go, right? So why not take a moment to actually fix/get something that will be GOOD for your body?! Remember, food is the literal fuel your body runs on – you want it to be good!