Although the last few weeks have doused Charm City with rain, we’re headed into the last full month of summer. Despite the humid temperatures, August is the perfect time to experience our city through fitness. We rounded up some of our favorite ways to get […]
Happy New Year!
Let’s take a moment…right now, we have a great opportunity to reflect and look forward! It’s a new chapter in your book – you know all the things coming will somehow build on what’s already happened but you also get to start fresh and experience all new things!
With a new year comes the tradition of resolutions. I’ve learned through trial and error that the important thing when it comes to resolutions (and goals in general) is to fight the urge to make them lofty and unattainable. Goals are wonderful…but only if they are smart, motivating and attainable! Don’t get me wrong, I also would like to add Chris Evans to my list, if that was plausible…
You need direction, focus and motivation to change. And let’s not forget that change is rarely the flip of a switch…it comes with WORK. You need to stick with it! I read a quote that always stuck with me – “The road to success is always under construction.” In other words, even with a goal in mind you’re bound to hit a few road blocks or detours. If you can work toward expecting it, you can be prepared to make another move.
This year, I’m setting new goals for the season, which I’m going to try to revisit in the spring. Check them out below:
- Find & love: I want to find my version of happiness with myself and ACCEPT IT. There’s is so much pressure to keep up with the proverbial Joneses! We’re always pressured to be skinnier, wealthier, more popular, etc. etc. But are those measures of “happiness” mine? I know the things that make ME happy and I know what I love. I just need to focus on finding and appreciating those things. 🙂
Which is another reason I’m so glad the Tone It Up Love Your Body Challenge is coming back – If you know me, you know I enjoy basically every TIU challenge…but I really love this one because it’s not just about working out and eating well, it’s really about making a happy and healthy lifestyle that helps you love yourself!
- Disconnect: This might be for 5 minutes or it might be for the whole day…I’ve become so tied to my phone, my computer, the TV, etc. We’re checking emails at dinner, scrolling Twitter on the couch…every moment is something. I want to step away from it all and try harder to be present! I want to tune in. Clear out the chaos. And return to that peaceful place again and again.
- Home yoga routine: I’ve learned to love yoga but I can’t always make it to a class. I want to start regularly practicing at home, if even for a few minutes. Yoga helps me focus, stress less and sleep better!
- Eat at the table: It seems like a simple thing, but we almost never eat at our kitchen table. We pile books, bags, groceries, packages…everything on our table, except our food! In doing so, we end up eating in front of the TV. I want to get away from that this year!
- Moderate: So many people are resolving to eat healthier to lose weight (A 2012 survey estimated that the number of American adults who are dieting jumps from 34 million during the holidays to 50 million in the first two weeks of January!), to undo indulgences, or to simply feel healthier/happier…but I’ve found that never comes from a stark diet change. No need to go cold turkey. The key is moderation.
My wish for your this year is try new things and get out there to do the things that motivate you! Take a break from hating/judging yourself. Meet new people. See new places. Try new things (even if they’re scary). Seek inspiration. Explore the world around you.
Cheers & all the best to you in 2015! ♡
I’ve been lucky enough to get to know the fun people who are opening M. Power Yoga Studio here in Baltimore and, with them, some amazing other yogis within our Baltimore community. Last night, M. Power hosted a special event with our local lululemon team and a local farm-to-table restaurant Farmstead Grill, and it was GLORIOUS!
As you may have read, I’m new-ish to the yoga scene. I’m learning to get more in touch with my breath and myself through practice, but I’m not a pro by any means. Last night, however, you could really feel it…the weather was incredible, the people were having fun and awesome, there was positivity in the air all around. It was rad!
First we set up and enjoyed a beautiful sunset yoga session with M. Power instructor Courtney McKeon, accompanied by live music from The Herd Brothers.
BUT SERIOUSLY…LOOK AT AT THAT SUNSET! 🙂
Then we got the special dinner from Farmstead Grill made with local (delicious) ingredients! I LOVED the fresh pressed juice and the hummus!
It was a beautiful night with beautiful people! I really hope there are more of these amazing community partnerships!