[Recipe] Summer Sliders
HAPPY SUMMER! The weather is warm. The sun is out (mostly). And summer food is all over! I love spring and summer because it brings a myriad of amazing fresh foods to eat! We’ve been noshing on watermelon, cucumbers and more all day!
Blue Apron has jumped on the fresh summer foods band wagon as well…Special this week for 4th of July, they gave us a great recipe for chicken sliders! Fried chicken, fresh cucumbers, yummy coleslaw…plus little American flag toothpicks! LOVE it! I had to share!
- 6 potato slider buns
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (washed, trimmed, cut into thirds)
- 1 carrot (peeled, cut thin like matchsticks)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled, smashed)
- 1 cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 C buttermilk
- 1/4 head green cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 C white vinegar
- 1T sugar
- 2 T mayonaise
- 1/2 C panko breadcrumbs
- 2 T Tabasco/hot sauce
- 1/2 C water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the cucumber slices in a heat safe bowl and add half the vinegar. Place chicken in a small bowl of buttermilk.
- In a small pot, combine the garlic, sugar, salt and water and heat to boiling.
- Once the mixture is boiling, gently pour the liquid over the cucumbers. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, mayo and remaining vinegar. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a small bowl with the panko breadcrumbs. Working with one piece of chicken at a time, remove the chicken from the buttermilk and let excess drip off then completely cover in breadcrumbs.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat 1/4 inch of oil on medium high until hot
- When the oil is hot enough, add the breaded chicken (breadcrumbs should sizzle immediately when added) and cook 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown/cooked through
- Towel off excess oil with paper towel lined plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, place the slider buns on a sheet pan to toast in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Plate fried chicken on buns with a few pickles and a dash of hot sauce if you like