I love fennel.
I love kale.
Sooo when Blue Apron combined the two in a recipe this week, one could say I was excited. 🙂
They put together a pasta recipe with the chopped vegetables and some interesting flavors, like dried honey and breadcrumbs. I made the recipe, minus the breadcrumbs, and it was DELICIOUS!
The recipe was pretty easy too – something you could make at any time! You even need all of the ingredients. It’s great with everything of course but if you just want a simple, tasty meal, the version below is great!
Caramelized Fennel & Kale Pasta
Courtesy of: Blue Apron
Needs: Pasta pot; deep pan
- 8 oz pasta of your choice (we used bucatini)
- 1 large fennel bulb (divide bulb and stems and chop, save fronds for garnish)
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 large bunch Tuscan kale (remove stems and rip into small pieces)
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 1/3 C pecorino cheese
- 1/8 t red pepper flakes
- Fill pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. When draining pasta, SAVE 1 C of the water.
- Wash and chop vegetables.
- Heat oil in a deep pan on medium until hot. Add onion, fennel and red pepper then cook until browned/caramelized.
- Add kale to vegetable mix and cook until wilted.
- Add pasta and 1/2 – 3/4 C water and cook until water is mostly absorbed.
- Mix in butter and cheese until melted.
- Season with S&P.