[Recipe] Brussel Sprout Fennel Salad
In an attempt to get myself back to a healthy place with eating, I’ve been packing my lunch a lot more lately. It’s insane how much eating out affects us – and not only our bodies, but our wallet! I don’t know how people DON’T pack lunch on a regular basis!
Anyway, recently I purchased some fennel which I LOVE. I’ve learned from my latest Tone It Up superfood nutrition plan that it’s not only delicious, but it’s is rich in fiber, vitamin C, potassium and essential minerals! I typically sautee or roast it but, as I started chopping it, I picked up and ate a piece. It’s so pungent and tasty as-is, so I decided to put it into a salad…
I chopped up some brussel sprouts (also one I typically cook, but are delicious raw) and started thinking…hmm…this is looking like a super superfood mix! I added some tasty & hot poblano peppers, then some green onions and grilled shrimp.
I coated with a light miso paste/water dressing to give it a little bit of an Asian-style taste. So good! Miso paste is made from fermented soy beans and it adds a little saltiness to dishes (which I CRAVE). Miso actually contains valuable living enzymes that are beneficial to you to restore good bacteria in your system, aid in digestion. It also has essential amino acids and B vitamins!
VOILA! Tasty new salad recipe – I had to share! 🙂
Kate’s Brussel Sprout Fennel Salad
- 1/2 C brussel sprouts (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 fennel bulb (chopped)
- 1/2 pepper (chopped) – I used a poblano pepper for a little kick!
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 1/2 C cooked shrimp (chopped)
- 1 t miso paste
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper for taste
- Wash and de-stem/seed all of the vegetables. Wash and remove the tails from your shrimp.
- Mix miso paste and water together thoroughly to make a light Asian-style dressing.
- Mix ingredients & toss with dressing. Add salt and pepper for taste
Looking for more superfood recipes? My trainers Katrina & Karena from Tone It Up have really helped me learn more about good foods to find and include in my diet. Check out some free recipes from them and/or sign up for their amazing TIU nutrition plan!